My Disloyal Followers

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Discoveries

Yes, yes, I know this is a writing blog, but I have broken that rule many times in the past and am breaking it again now. This post will be about songs, maps, and possibly I will include a writing piece, if something good comes to me.

Songs.

If I hadn't mentioned before, I am not a very big fan of the Hunger Games. The idea itself isn't very appealing, and I think it could have been written better. And though I'm probably being hypocritical saying this, I think the popularity and attention it received made me dislike it even more. I'm sorry. I can't help it.

I did, however, enjoy the movie. I honestly think the movie is better than the book. So today, while I was listening to my Narnia playlist, I thought suddenly, I never went and listened to the Hunger Games one. So I did that, and I was prepared to give a speech about how it was good, but not very impressive. And the first few tracks did make me believe that even more. Then I listened to, what was it, the fifth one, I think, and it was so intense, and entrancing. Then the next few after that were boring too. But when I listened to Rue's Farewell, I had to listen to it again, and again. Because that second half is so beautiful, and it actually made me sad. I thought that track might be a little melancholy, but I didn't expect it to hit that hard, because I was looking down on the music in the first place. So, I have been proven wrong, listening to the Hunger Games soundtrack was a very good way to spend an hour.

When I finished that, I came across a man playing The Battle, from the Narnia soundtrack on piano. He was very good, but what really struck me was that he played it by ear. Not by sheet music. By ear! That was amazing. And because of that, I will give you the link: The Battle

Did I ever mention that I watched Les Miserables and adore the songs? If I didn't, remind me to talk about that next post. :)

Maps.

This is my first draft of a map of Moriem. (I don't have the double dots here, unfortunately, and I'm too lazy to go copy paste.) This is really bad quality, I'm sorry about that. I think if you click on it, it gets bigger, but the quality still sucks.


Writing Piece.

Hm...maybe another Azura one? Or an Elnair/Azura. I love that pair. And this is the only girl character that I don't mind writing in the point of. Yay.

  Her small fingers reached out to grasp the flimsy page in the book that rested in her lap and slowly pulled it gently but not too hesitantly to the next page, savoring the last few words on that one, reading it again and again, entranced by the beauty of it. Funny how powerful words can really be, she thought admiringly. Her dark side pulsed angrily in her head, letting his mind drift to less pleasant thoughts, but she forced it back down with all her willpower. I will not feel sorry for myself. I just will not. Lately, her patience had been becoming less and less. She feared that one day, she might finally succumb to the dark mass of anger that swirled inside of her. There were three scars on her inner left forearm to prove that she was not as much in control as she thought she was. While she had done it, it had seemed sensible, but when in a normal state of mind, she couldn't imagine what had gotten into her. Now her largest, most important goal was not to give in to that again. She would not cut herself again.
  Azura was just shaking her head and looking at the first word on the next page when a loud cursing in a familiar voice shook her out of her beautiful fantasy. She glanced out the window she was slouched down next to to see, not surprisingly, her closest friend for over a decade stomping around and trampling the unfortunate dirt. Elnair, as usual, seemed angry and furious about something, obviously put out. Standing up, and smoothing her rumpled skirt down, she leaped about down the hall to greet him at the door, a bright smile on her face, her energy level spiking up. Azura always enjoyed seeing him, even when it meant soothing his injured ego, because he was the only one who actually cared about her. He wasn't a fake friend. He had serious issues, and was a bit narcissistic, but he still managed to bring happiness even when in the darkest of moods, if only as a comedy relief.
  When she opened the door, Elnair stormed in past her and punched the wall angrily before wincing and clutching his injured hand delicately. "That was intelligent," Azura remarked, not bothering to ask what had happened, or to see if he was okay. She held back a smirk when he glared at her, his green eyes sparkling madly, and his dark brown hair ruffled and unkempt, plastered against his damp face. "I hope you will pay from my broken wall," she added, despite the wall being completely fine.
  Azura thought she could see the tiniest crack of a smile threaten to spoil his demeanor, but it was so faint and quick that she might have thought she had imagined it if she hadn't known him better. "You care so much for me," he responded hoarsely, as though he had screamed and shouted plenty before coming. His voice dripped with sarcasm and mockery, and heavy and thick as rich syrup seeping down the trunk of a tree. Azura was certain he had gotten into some fight that didn't end quite as he had wanted.
  "Of course!" She gasped and pulled her hand to hover over her mouth in mock surprise. It wasn't as if that was not true anyway. She did care for him - more than she should. "Well, if you want to keep feeling sorry for yourself, you may stand here and think about how to mend my injured, fragile wall. Or, you could come inside with me to listen to my book summary of the day." Elnair rolled his eyes, but stepped into the common room, and plopped onto a sofa as though he owned the house. Azura bit back a laugh and shut the door before following him in.
  She opened her mouth to start talking, to stall time while she waited for him to start complaining. She would never sincerely ask him what was wrong, because that went against all the unspoken rules of their friendship. Azura acted like she didn't care, and he teased her in return. Of course, during one of his tantrums, like this one, he would never tease her, but most of the time he was a pleasant person to be around. In fact, he was always pleasant, save the few times he got upset, or he was around someone he didn't know. Azura didn't understand why, but whenever Elnair would meet someone new, he would treat them as he would an enemy, unless they proved themselves over and over again to him. She was the one person who hadn't had to go through that ritual. Their friendship was odd, him being eighteen, two years older than her. But he didn't have any other friends, always keeping his guard up so no one would want to be around him.
  "Blood," he interjected before she could even make a sound. Azura sat down and prepared herself for a long, angry rant. "Blood is all they care about. Ancestry, relations, names, blood! It's never about who the person is themselves, or what type of reputation he might have." Azura raised an eyebrow when he stopped, indicating that she was listening. She watched as he stood up, his fingers clenched, his whole body shaking. "You know that we have been without a king or queen for nearly a year now. King Ethan died, Queens Wendy and Aqua were lost, and King Firenze decided he didn't want the pressure of being the only one and left us. Fat lot of help he was. But we have held off for so long. For a year there has been little bloodshed. Now, we are beginning to fight. People want to be king." Azura wasn't entirely sure what any of this had to do with the word blood, but she remained silent and waited for him to finish. "There are many suitable men out there who are powerful or wise enough to be king. Including myself."
  It took a moment for the depth of what he was saying to sink in. "Oh," she said simply, when she finally realized what he meant.


I had so much more planned out, but this is turning out too long. I shall post the rest tomorrow. :) I hope you enjoyed that! And a little information on what I wrote. If you go back and read the summary of a story I'm planning that I posted a few posts ago, then you'll understand this better. But the main thing is that this scene takes place about a year before when the book will. So the only reason I wrote this is because it will never take place during the actual story. I will not write that, no matter what, until the next NaNoWriMo. That's all.

Oh, one more thing. I can't help but be painfully aware of how few views my blog actually gets. So, um, if you could come check more often, or tell people you know about this, then that would be nice.

And about that earring raffle I had done a while ago, I'll get back to that once I find those blasted earrings. My mom says they are somewhere in the jewelry room...if you think you know what a messy room looks like, think again. Maybe I'll put up a picture of that tomorrow.

7 comments:

Connie said...

Sorry if I haven't checked your blog enough... I really enjoyed that piece of writing! I couldn't see the map very well, though...is it in pencil?

I watched Les Miserables, and I loved the songs too :) especially Do You Hear the People Sing and Castle on a Cloud.

Audrey Jones said...

I love this writing, it's awesome!!! And I watched Les Miserables, which was SO AWESOME. especially Russel Crowe, who was an amazing Javert :)

I nominated you for the Seriously! What a Great Blog! Award
http://writingaudrey.blogspot.com/2013/02/seriously-what-great-blog-award.html

Fira Marine said...

It's fine Connie, you're my most loyal follower :) yes, the map is in pencil, because I'm probably just going to change it around until it's how I like it, rather than redrawing it again and again. Thanks!

And thank you to you too Audrey. :) I'll consider doing the award, maybe just because I feel like I need to post.

And Les Mis was AMAZING. Do You Hear the People Sing is definitely one of my favorites, and Connie could you recognize Castle on a Cloud as one of the songs we would use in ballet? I think we use it for tendus now. And YES I adored Javert/Russel Crowe he was so amazing! My favorite songs are pretty much anything he sang, I especially like Stars, Javert's Suicide, and The Confrontation. Oh, and I can't forget One Day More. My favorite female character has to be Eponine. How about you?

Connie said...

Yes, I thought Castle on a Cloud sounded familiar... Russell Crowe's performance was very enjoyable.

One Day More was also one of my favorite songs. Samantha Barks did do a great job as Eponine...I'm not sure of my favorite female character, maybe Cosette?

I heard that Hugh Jackman, who played Jean Valjean, had to go without water for 36 hours to get the sunken-faced prisoner appearance in the beginning of the movie...I don't know how he was able to act so well when he was dehydrated, though.

Fira Marine said...

Haha, Catherine, Emily, and Phallyn all saw it too so every time we hear it we start singing. :)

Samantha Barks was AMAZING. Have you seen her perform On My Own for the Les Mis 25th anniversary? Search it up, I loved her. I didn't really like Cosette though...I think she was my least favorite character.

Really? How is that possible? I want to try...haha this is why you don't tell me things like that. I doubt I will ever end up trying that but I want to. I thought that was just really good makeup or something.

Okay I see I need a post about this. Tomorrow I will write a Les Miserables post.

Jessica said...

Hey, you changed your theme again!
Jessica likes :)

Fira Marine said...

Wait, what theme?