My Disloyal Followers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Clockwork Princess Review (no spoilers)

Looks like my Maze Runner review is going to have to wait just a little longer. Oh well.

And my excuse for not posting for so long, is once again, too busy.


So I finished reading Clockwork Princess about half an hour ago. And I feel so overwhelmed and I want to talk about it so badly - but I can't. Because no one I know has finished reading it yet. And I won't give out spoilers, no longer do I do that. So this review will be spoiler free. Maybe later I'll put up one with spoilers, when I can rant my heart out. For now I'll have to settle with drowning in my own tears in the safety of my room where no one can see me.

For those of you that don't know, Clockwork Princess is the third and final book of The Infernal Devices trilogy, by Cassandra Clare. Her books talk about the world of shadowhunters, a group of people with special abilities that hunt down demons and kill them before they cause trouble.

This series focused on the life of a girl named Tessa, who is unlike anyone ever seen before, in the mater of what is in her blood, and her, ah, power.

The entire series had been leading up to something, the tension increasing with each book. But the last thing I was expecting was the intensity in which it actually happened. So far it has been mostly action and humor, mixed with a tinge of sadness, but there was this feeling while reading the whole book, that made you sad and tense the entire time, and felt little relief at the humor hidden in the lines. It is difficult to describe the feeling. I think that Tessa does it best, with one of her own quotes from this very book itself.

"“You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.”"



Yes, Tessa. I definitely know that feeling. I had it while I was reading this. The whole time.

I rate this book: ***** (out of five). I know, I am a bit generous, but it had me turning the pages, sneaking it in class. Today I was seen by four teachers reading it, two of which got upset and told me to put it away. My English teacher didn't really care, he lets me get away with everything, and in art we got pretty much a free period today. If my French teacher had caught me...*shudders* I don't think you would ever hear from me again.

Anyway. To those of you who know what I am talking about.

The Consul is having issues with Charlotte, for who knows why. Well I sort of do know why, but as if I'm going to tell you. (; the love triangle between Tessa, Will, and Jem continues on powerfully, and Will tries his hardest to hide his feelings to make sure Jem will never find out, or become unhappy. Meanwhile, Jem is getting, much, much worse and his chances of survival are lower than they have ever been.

I liked this book because of, like I already mentioned, the mood it put you in. You can't tear yourself away from it, but you can't stand reading it either, and you end up feeling as if you were about to cry, and would had there been tears in your eyes, It feels like you've already cried it all out, even though you haven't, and have no more tears left in you.

There was a lot of character development, and a lot of insight into everyone's mind, including those who didn't have anything in their point of view. You could see their feelings so clearly, so raw and exposed, and vulnerable. You can see how Jem's health affects Will, and find yourself hoping that no matter what, whether you are on team Will or team Jem, that you find yourself hoping against all odds that Jem will live.

And that epilogue! I was eating out at a restaurant while reading that, no doubt being a bore to my family, but what could I do? I finished the book there, and although my parents couldn't care less about what goes on the silly fantasy books I read, I had to tell them everything cause I needed to get it out. When I was reading that epilogue...well you'll know when you read it.


Hmph. I had had a lot of thoughts on this review before, but now I can't seem to find any. If I think of anything more, I'll comment it.


But basically, in all, I LOVED Clockwork Princess, and encourage you all to read Cassandra Clare's books, starting with The Mortal Instruments and then moving on to The Infernal Devices. And if you have read The Mortal Instruments, then read The Infernal Devices, and vice versa. Aaand, if you've read it all but not Clockwork Princess yet, then I assure you, this book was simply amazing.






19 comments:

. said...

Yay another update! :)

oh wow, thanks for letting us know. I don't think I'm going to read this book then but because I don't read or see sad movies. They bring me down, and depending on the intensity of it, way down. one time my brother let me borrow one of his chinese soap operas with subtitles and I cried. that was the most tears I had ever shed over a movie. But if you like it, that is what matters. :) It's a good feeling when you get sucked into a book like that and best when you read the ending and go "ahhh" with satisfaction.

Fira Marine said...

Haha, yeah, I used to be good with updates but not anymore, sadly. (;

Mmmmmmm but you should read The Mortal Instruments at least. And this one, too, because the main thing isn't sadness, it has action, and a love story, and magic, and awesomeness going on. This is the one time one of her books actually made me sad. My point is, I seriously recommend this to like anyone, because it is an AMAZING series.

. said...

Thanks for the recommendation. boy, I have a few books I need to catch up on plus I want to reread one. :)

Connie said...

Clockwork Princess sounds very interesting. The Mortal Instruments is the series that starts with City of Bones, right?

Fira Marine said...

@Hilda: Me too! If I put up a list of every book I need to read right now...it may take a few days to read. And I have a bunch of rereads on top of all of that.

@Connie: Yep! You should read it! Like seriously, I didn't listen to my friends when they told me to, and when I finally did, I absolutely loved it.

. said...

Wow! You have a lot more reading to do than me. :O Good thing it's fun to do. :)

Fira Marine said...

Yeah. A LOT. And if it weren't fun, then where would I be now?

Have you ever read The Maze Runner? That's another AMAZING series.

AGH TOO MANY SPAMMERS. That's it, no more anonymous posting.

. said...

No I haven't heard of Maze Runner. What is it about?

Good idea.

Audrey Jones said...

Ooohhhh! The Infernal Devices! I've been wanting to read that series after I read the Mortal Instruments. I'll definitely be snooping around for those books. I've heard of Maze Runner, it's a trilogy right?

Fira Marine said...

First off, sorry I didn't reply sooner! Was sort of sick. Yeah, sorry.


@Audrey: YOU MUST!!!!! I love it more than TMI.


@Both (; : The Maze Runner is a trilogy, first book is The Maze Runner *gasp* and it's a REALLY good series. You're always in for a surprise there and like, it's good! You should read it? I'm sorry I'm horrible at recommending books because all I know how to say is that they are good. :p

. said...

Aw it's okay. :)

. said...

Get well real soon! :)

Audrey Jones said...

I am very bad at both recommending and reviewing books too. I can't say anything except that a book is good and interesting.

Hope you feel better! :)

So are you going to start a message board? If you do, I would definitely visit it often :) really good idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and very off-topic but did you know that in 2015 Rick Riordan is going to start a new series about Norse mythology?! Haha I know nothing about the subject but I can't wait for it anyway, as I love Rick Riordan's books. Even though they end in cliffhangers annoying often (like Mark of Athena! I waited a WHOLE YEAR after The Son of Neptune only to find out that I had another year to wait for House of Hades)

Fira Marine said...

Thank you guys!

@Audrey: Yeah, I just keep repeating myself. "You should go read it. It's good. Go read it." Then the next day. "Did you get the book? You should read it." My friends hate me when I want them to read something. (; And yes, I WILL be making a message board, probably this week itself.

@Anonymous: I had known there was a Norse mythology series in the planning, but i didn't know when! Me neither, all I know is that I think Thor and Loki from Avengers are Norse, I think. I can't wait either! And after reading Son of Neptune I got so mad, I couldn't wait. After I read Mark of Athena...there are no words for my rage. I absolutely cannot wait until The House of Hades! Only 193 days left! xP

. said...

Oh yay, can't wait for your message board!! :D

Connie said...

What else are you supposed to say besides that a book is good? I can't think of anything else to describe a good book except "good", or maybe "interesting." I didn't know that Rick Riordan was going to release a series about Norse mythology, is he going to do series on Inca mythology or anything else?

How exactly do you use a message board? I've never participated in one before, although I have seen the Warriors forums.

Fira Marine said...

I don't knowi think so far it's just Norse.

Um...that's hard to explain. I think just spend time on there and you'll get the hang of it. That's how I figured out message boards. (;

Anonymous said...

A drop of water over a crystal will form beads, but on a
glass the water will smear. As far as luxury timepieces go, choices an awful lot if you're not mindful of the brands for the market. For a dressier look one can possibly select through the two-toned or gold plated bracelets.

my website :: Watches-bestprice.com